Monday, January 24, 2011

"Working on Monday" - A Bit of Advice and Thoughtful Reflections

I have now been unemployed for just over 3 months.  In these 3 months my mother became ill and recently died.  My family has been unsettled by this foundational loss.  Now that things in my family are beginning to settle, my feelings about the loss of my mother and job have had an opportunity to surface.

The most prominent feeling that continues to reveal itself is sadness.  I loved my job and it gave me a sense of destiny fulfillment.  My job was truly a blessing from God and I broke ground in many ways.  I am also saddened by some of the mistakes made as well.  The biggest mistake...allowing a company to manage, implement and oversee my ideas.

The other mistake was ignorance.  I was unaware of many things that caused me harm.  I was unaware of bitter vengeance and employment laws that applied to my life and situation.  I think it is important for any worker to know the law.  Employers know the law and use it in many ethical and unethical ways.  If you know the law and how to use it, your chances of being illegally terminated will be diminished.  If you know you are being stalked by past vindictive employers let people know.  Stalkers hide in the dark, bring their activities to light.  Here is a good place to start.

View Your Employee File

Make sure you know what is in your employee file.  Employers can put false, incorrect or harmful information in your file.  Your file follows you around within a company and negative information can stop you from getting promotions and transferring. It is also used to terminate employment.  

I would also suggest you keep your own employee file.  Make sure your record matches what your employer has on record.  If things are not in order, know your chain of command to take proper action.  You may even have to obtain a lawyer.  It is your right to see your employee file, if you are denied access to it, you have the right to take action. 

photos via: therapistdanielle.com, imageingconnections.com via Google images  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...