Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Difficult Truths of Life

Chaplain Donna
Telling the truth is not always easy.  I have had to speak a difficult truth several times this week and I felt terrible after it was over.  It was a sinking feeling that filled me with doubt about my future and my ability to earn a living.  As many of you know, I have been sabotaged by an old supervisor and so-called friend.  There is a strong possibility they are still waiting for another opportunity to shit (forgive my language, but I can not think of a more appropriate word) on my hard work.  The fact of the matter is I have to deal with this unpleasant truth happening in my life or my life will continue to deal with me. 

Coming to terms with this has caused me to cry many tears and question my chances of any real success.  I do not know who is going to hire someone that has a bad reputation.  I do not know who is going to hire someone who has a stalker playing God in the background.  I do not know if their efforts to ruin my lively hood have been completely successful.  To say the least I am in a sad place, but the possibilities have never been more brighter. 

Still I Rise

by Maya Angelou
You may write me down in history   
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt   
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?   
’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells   
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,   
With the certainty of tides,   
Just like hopes springing high,   
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?   
Bowed head and lowered eyes?   
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,   
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?   
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines   
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,   
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds   
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,   
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,   
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.   
I rise
   I rise   
 I rise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...