Friday, February 25, 2011

Who am I?

The fundamental philosophical question man has asked from the beginning of time- Why are we here?  Another way to phrase this question on a personal level is "What is my purpose in life?"  Finding the answer to this question infuses your life with direction and Empowerment.

I pondered this question for years!  I was the person that could not decide on a college major because I had many different interests.  I took personality tests, career placement tests and later tests that focused on my spiritual gifts.  None of the answers seemed to help me define my future career.  Through much prayer and patience I discovered the chaplaincy.  I found my life's purpose.  I poured hours of preparation into my field of expertise.  I even started a spiritual care department at my community hospital.

I love the chaplaincy and still enjoy the work.  What I have discovered is a deeper purpose within myself.  I allowed the title of Chaplain to define me and my career.  When I was sabotaged and lost my job, I was hurt.  I felt betrayed, cheated and angry with myself and others because of the unjust circumstances that surrounded my dismissal.  I still have moments of anger and I continue to look for ways to clear my name.  While I was seeking justice, I discovered something almost as gratifying.

It is not my career that defines me, it is the expression of my gifts that give me life.

I encourage you to think about what activities make you feel most useful.  Then look at how many different ways you can transfer that activity into other arenas.  It is not the career that define you it is using your gifts.  As long as you remember this, you will never be limited! 
photo via: gurudesignz.com via Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...