Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Right to Be Gay?- Gay People and The Church

I became a Christian in my late twenties.  It was a life changing experience that continues to heal, transform and Empower me.  As I have matured I have come to understand a major distinction between the church (the physical structure), the church (the body of Christ) and being a Christian (a spiritual journey led by Jesus Christ).

The church as a physical structure is where Christians gather to worship, fellowship and hear the gospel preached.  It can be a very inspirational place, but if you are different, it can become a very hateful place.  I have had the experience of knowing how both feel.  This has given me a deeper compassion for those that are rejected by the churches they attend, especially gays.  God has used the chaplaincy to open my heart. 

As a chaplain I learned to have an acceptance of people that are different from me.  Before my chaplaincy education, clinical work and hospital employment I was a cruel, judgmental Christian.  Whenever someone had a problem I would say, "all you need is Jesus."  I made this statement without real understanding.  My words were offensive to many and my belief that I was better than non-Christians had to turn many off.  The chaplaincy taught me to remove myself from the equation of others lives.  I became able to walk with others in their despair when I dealt with my own demons. 

When people come to church they are looking for a way to make life better.  They usually have been beat down by the world and are unable to find any other way to ease their pain.  They  look to God and yearn for His healing love to sooth their fears and anxiety.  Most have an expectation that the loving people of God will welcome them with open arms.  Instead what many find is a list of rules and a cold shoulder when they reveal their personal struggles.  Where is the love?

Gay People and The Church
The one thing I have learned in this sometimes hateful and cruel world is love is precious.  Telling a gay person to leave the person they love because it is a sin is cruel.  The message most Christians send to gay people is you are defective and all you need to do is read your Bible, go to church and pray continually to be straight.  Lisa Ling's "Pray the Gay Away" gave an interesting insight into the dynamics of gay, church and Christian interactions.

I believe God's best for me is the union of man and woman, but this fact does not drive me to shun, criticize and judge gay people.  I must admit there was a time in my spiritual journey when I believed being gay was a perversion.  I thought men and women that engaged in sexual acts with people of the same sex did it because they decided to experiment.  I had no understanding of gay love or a gay person's real attraction to the same sex.  I thought they were just sick people that acted out to be rebellious to God.  I unfairly lumped them in a category of sexually promiscuous people. 

I know sexually promiscuous people exist, gay and straight, but that is a different subject.  I am talking about gay people that are seeking a loving relationship and want to be monogamous.  Why is the church asking them to deny the core of their being?  In my life I have tried to be what others wanted but it never worked!  Why would the church and society as a whole expect this of a person who is gay? 

I have another confession.  I am not comfortable with public displays of openly gay affection.  Guess what?  That is my problem!  It is not the responsibility of a gay person to make me feel okay.  I am in control of my own thoughts and feeling, the same as you. 

It is not the churches responsibility to turn gay people straight.  The churches responsibility is the deliver the message of God, love and help others heal as they themselves heal.  I do not believe any man is perfect enough to 'fix' another.  I believe a lifestyle can be displayed and others will follow if it is attractive. 

People Struggling with Their Sexuality
There are many people struggling with their sexuality.  Some people are gay and want to be straight.  There are some straight people that want to be gay.  People are changing their sex all together with surgery and hormones.  Many different factors play into the confusion these people try to untangle.  People that are unsure of their sexual orientation suffer with an enormous amount of internal conflict.  These people come to church seeking refuge from their pain and many times find rejection and judgment.  "If you are unable to be like us in a certain amount of time it is your fault."  This leads to people living lies once again.  Desperately wanting to be accepted, but once again finding themselves lost.

My message is simply love. Love people along their paths and allow them the space to change as they see fit.  Allow God the ability to interact with a person's soul and renew them according to His will.  If a person is gay, why deny them the right to love.  Living a life of celibacy should be a personal choice, not imposed because a person is gay.  If gay people are to live lives without ever being able express romantic love, liars should not be able to speak.  Backstabbers should have to live in isolation and adulterers should never be allowed to remarry. 

If a person is gay, why should they have to change to make everyone else comfortable?  There are a lot of really bad people that the church could focus on.  Like the insensitive church people that drive people to suicide and away from God.  

photos via: wolvturnedon.blogspot.com, equalitybritain.co.uk, liveoffmusicnow.blogspot.com, confused-honest-young-boy.blogspot.com via Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...