Monday, November 22, 2010

"Working on Monday" Part 6- Making Personal Connections and Introducing Yourself to the World

This week we are taking action!  We have gathered information about ourselves, dreams and goals.  Now it is time to share our discoveries!  I do not mean spelling out your dreams to everyone, remember, dreams are special and should be shared with caution.  I mean letting people know you are on the market and what you can do for them.  It is time to make personal connections and introduce yourself to the world.  The people you strike up conversations with in the grocery store could lead to your next job.

You could be talking to the wife of an executive, the son of an entrepreneur, a human resources representative looking to fill a position or someone that will refer you during a conversation with his friends.  These people all have something in common, it is called reach.  Reach also known as word-of-mouth advertising can work for you.  People generally want to help.  Word-of-mouth advertising is an easy way for people to participate in your journey.  You just need a message and a calling card!

I am Shy

I have leaned from my own personal experience.  If you are hungry and really want to make your dreams come true, you can overcome shyness.   This is a time for you to shine and let people know who you are and what you can accomplish.  It is not rude to speak of your strengths and strong work ethic.  This is what people need to know, they are putting trust in you to complete important tasks.  Let them know you are capable and the best person for the job!  Passion stimulates courage and gets the job done!

Action Step Twelve:
Organize your work autobiography from step 6, into small memorable phases. Here is an example of a conversation:
Monday: "Hi, how are you today?"
Stranger: "I am okay, just doing some shopping."
Monday: "Me too, I have been really watching my budget.  I have been unemployed for about 6 weeks."
Stranger: "That is too bad.  My son is looking for work, but has not had any luck."
Monday: "I need money to survive, but I miss comforting patients and families in their time of need more than anything.  I am a chaplain by trade, specializing in bereavement care and staff education."
Stranger: "My sister works for hospice.  She says the chaplains are wonderful.  Have you tried any hospices?
Monday: "Yes, it is very rewarding work. I worked closely with them in the hospital.  They have always done an amazing job."
Stranger: "I wonder if they need chaplains where my sister works?"
Monday: "Here let me give you my information.  I really appreciate your concern.  You can contact me anytime."
Stranger: "It was really nice meeting you Monday, I will be in touch."
Monday: "It was nice meeting you too. Have a great day!"

It is just that easy!  I would suggest role playing or talking in front of the mirror to practice.  You want to sound natural, but professional and knowledgeable.  Knowing how to articulate who you are and what skills you have to offer helps people take you seriously.

Action Step Thirteen:
Get a personal calling card.  Here are some great examples at Elizabeth Anne Designs.

Having a social calling card with pertinent information shows professionalism.  Everything you do communicates what you have to offer.  The way you dress, your hair, make-up, your speech and body language.  This does not mean you should change yourself.  If you are a cowboy, be the cleanest cowboy around.  If you are a fitness guru, where neat, matching fitness attire.  If you are a stay at home mom, where neat clothing, do your hair and make-up.  Show people you are worth their money, time and investment.  

Action Step Fourteen:
Practice often.  Strike up conversations everywhere and be prepared to talk about yourself is a professional and positive manner.

Even if your conversation does not lead to a business connection, you are letting the universe know you are ready.

Here is a great article by Chris Brogan: Presentation Tune-Ups.  An audience of one or two is just as important as hundreds.  Make sure people know you value them. 

photo credits: abstract-living.com, daromancejournal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...